The Student Sustainable Farm at Rutgers operates under the Community Supported Agriculture model. Members pay an up front fee to help cover the production costs of the farm, and in turn they receive a weekly share of the harvest during the local growing season.

Our family joined the farm for the 2002 season, and we were very pleased with the variety and quality of the produce we received. When I found out that they had a under-utilized website, I volunteered to redesign it. The first version of the website can be seen below.

Current Website
In 2008, the faculty member who serves as farm advisor requested a new design for the website.

I gave it more of a "farmstand feel" by broadening the palette of colors, adding the picture of vegetables in the header and using garden stakes for the newly streamlined list of links on the left.

In 2009 I brought the website into compliance with Rutgers University web standards – they require each page to have the Rutgers logotype banner, search link, and a copyright notice. Most of the University webpages use the red Rutgers logotype, but I found that they also offered a version in black, which worked much better in this design.

Minor changes in 2010 included a change to the name of the farm, from the "Cook Student Organic Farm" to the "Student Sustainable Farm at Rutgers", along with adding a link to the farm's new Facebook group, which was created so the farmers and shareholders could communicate with each other.

I also updated the front page boxed list of each week's harvest to use a "chalkboard" style Google Font, on a background of carrots.

One of the pages under "About Our Farm" is a CSS-based photo gallery, allowing the user to mouseover a set of thumbnails and view each photo. The photo gallery code was adapted from one at CSSPlay.

Previous Version
This is the first design I did in 2002, replacing the original website.

In this initial design, I reorganized the contents and placed the navigation links on the left, and added new sections for vegetable recipes and information about the current growing season.

I chose this background texture because of its resemblance to a plowed field, and set up a "logo" with the farm's name and a picture of the crops.